Dragon Pzkpfw III Ausf. N sPzAbt 501 Afrika (2008)

Bill Plunk

Completion 03-15-2008

Post by Bill Plunk »

Final steps were completed today with the weathering. First up was to apply a dull coat in the form of Testor's Lusterless Flat lacquer in the rattle can. Once that was dry, it was followed by an application of Mig Gulf War Sand mixed in with ordinary water and applied by brush to the suspension, lower hull, and tracks. This was allowed to air dry before moving on to the next step.

In order to avoid breathing in the fine pigment dust, I donned a sanding mask and went to work with a series of stiff bristled brushes and removed the excess pigment. This is a time-consuming step due to the fact that there's lots of little nooks and crannies and, of course, a lot of surface area on the tracks to deal with. It's worth the effort though and I worked on one side at a time, taking breaks now and then in the process.

Next up was the rest of the hull and turret. I used a highly diluted water/pigment mixture of the same Gulf War Sand used on the lower hull. This was done to create a light dust accumulation on the rest of the vehicle and once it had dried, adjustments were made with the same set of stiff brushes where needed. I also went back over the tracks and lightly dry-brushed some Steel to the high points and pins to bring them back out a bit.

Then it was off to the photo booth for the finishing shots.