Tamiya 1/48 Vought F4U-1A Corsair (2016)

Bill Plunk

Completion 05-06-2016

Post by Bill Plunk »

Got the last remaining touches in on the Corsair today. I sprayed a coat of MM Lusterless Flat to remove any remaining gloss and unify the finish. Once that was dry, I used some Gator Grip Thin Blend to add the canopy parts. Some EZ Line Fine black provided the radio aerial.

Masks were removed on the underside belly window and main spotlight. I used some Future to restore the gloss look to the wingtip lights and the wing lights where needed. I also applied a coat of Mig Ammo North Africa Dust to the wheels to provide a basis for their weathering to match the base.

Wheels were further weathered with some of the dry Light Dust pigments to complete their look.

I used the plane to determine where to place the main wheel chocks on the PSP section of the base and placed the fire extinguisher with some Gator Grip Thin Blend so I could get those elements in place.

Last, but not least, I added the pilot figure to the right side wing. Gator Grip Thin Blend again to the rescue as the figure has to stand just so to be placed correctly in position and the Gator Grip is always more forgiving vs. CA or similar. ;)

That meant it was time to bring it all together for a combined set of walk-arounds.

And, for good measure, I did a set for just the Corsair itself before it was added to the base:

Bill Plunk

Publication January 2017

Post by Bill Plunk »

This build is featured in the FineScale Modeler February 2017 issue: