Dragon Jagdpanther Late Production

Bill Plunk

Completion 12-12-2010

Post by Bill Plunk »

Finally managed to get this one across the finish line this weekend! Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that this build would take 2.5 months to complete, but that's life for you I guess.

I sealed up the previous weathering with an application of Testors Model Master Lusterless Flat in the spray can and let that dry overnight. That left only the pigment weathering for the tracks and lower hull. I mixed up a combination of Mig Pigments Dark Mud, Light Dust, Europe Dust, and Rubble Dust as a dry powder until I had the tint/color I wanted. This was converted to a wet mix using ordinary tap water with a drop of dish-washing soap added to break the surface tension. The wet mix was applied using a round sable brush to the lower hull, running gear, and the tracks. After it had air dried, I removed the excess using a stiff bristled brush (while wearing a dust mask to avoid inhaling the fine particles!) and then made further adjustments using several q-tips.

This was the first time I had tried doing this with the tracks off the vehicle and it made a difference so will likely be something I continue when using workable tracks at any rate.

The tracks were then installed on both sides and the idler properly tensioned to produce the right amount of sag.

The final step was the installation of a JB brass 2m antenna using some CA gel and painting it up with MM Non-buffing Metalizer Gunmetal. Then it was off to the photo-booth for the walk-arounds to finally, finally! get this one across the finish line.